Welcome back to Postgame, Sidequest’s monthly Patreon-exclusive podcast, where the editors lay down hot takes on cold games. In this episode, we take the polar plunge and talk about games that are no less than a decade old (maybe two!) as the editors walk down memory lane and explore how our first games* affected our relationship with the medium.
*“First” can be subjective, right?
What was your first game? Let us know!
Topics & timestamps:
- Test Drive: Off-Road 13:05 – 15:43
- Portal 15:43 – 23:31
- Myst 28:56 – 35:20
- Ape Escape (and various 90s – 2000s games) 37:56 – 1:06:17
Pieces we mentioned:
- My First Game: Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
- Makin’ WooHoo: The Sims and My Sexual Awakening
- Why I Game: Traits I Aspire To (Thanks, Final Fantasy X)
- Portal is the most subversive game ever
- Flipping the Narrator the Bird
- The Ape Escape Monkeys (gif warning!), the horrible pools, and the Ape Escape horrible pool
- Super Nintendo Music Does Not Need Restoration
- Wallowing in Paratropic’s Inspired Mundanity
- Spyro Reignited is a Joyous but Troubling Trip Through Childhood
Pieces we didn’t mention but you might like:
Theme music is Bass Thee by Alexander Nakarada, used under Creative Commons 0.
Melissa Brinks is Sidequest’s editor in chief, co-creator of the Fake Geek Girls podcast, author of The Compendium of Magical Beasts, and an aspiring beekeeper. She once won an argument on the internet, and tweets at @MelissaBrinks.