Happy Wednesday, and happy 2020! Every Wednesday, Sidequest gives you a round-up of the week’s gaming news. What games have you been playing lately? I finally started Star Wars Battlefront II and have been playing the campaign. I love the main player character, Iden Versio, and the moral conflicts she faces as an Imperial commander, especially when she’s commanded to attack her home planet. I’ve also been continuing to play a little bit of Ghost Recon Wildlands and replay GTA V story mode. Ultimately, I’m just waiting for my most anticipated release of any media—game, movie, show, or book—in 2020, which is:
Happy New Year! #TheLastofUsPartII #2020 pic.twitter.com/YmytpU4BG5
— Naughty Dog (@Naughty_Dog) January 1, 2020
Let us know on Twitter what games you’re playing and what games you’re looking forward to, and check back every Wednesday for more news!
Maddy Myers Recaps Gender in Games Journalism
Maddy Myers, the managing editor of Kotaku and one of the most prominent journalists about video games for many years, kicks off 2020 with this must-read article about gender and video games.
i have been writing about video games professionally since 2008. so i've been doing this for over a decade. now that it's 2020, i wanted to write about how much has changed in that time–and how much HASN'T. and still can. still will. https://t.co/ZMJ13thvT5
— Maddy Myers (@MIDImyers) January 3, 2020
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo Leaks
Game files from the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Remake leaked. Here are over 100 screenshots from the leaks. The game officially releases on March 3.
More News You Can Use
- A video showing gameplay from the rumored prequel for Portal, titled F-Stop or Aperture Camera, has emerged.
- The Sims 4 players are making shrines for Baby Yoda.
- Epic Games Store is offering three games for free: Darksiders, Darksiders 2, and Steep.
- Pokemon Sword and Shield are offering free Battle Points right now.
- Need a refresher on what games are releasing in 2020? Here are 50 of the most highly anticipated releases, in alphabetical order.
- The Witcher 3 has been having a revival of popularity due to the Netflix series. The game, which released in 2015, just surpassed 100,000 concurrent players on Steam for the first time.
- The movie adaptation of Ni no Kuni will be available on Netflix on January 16.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has surpassed Dota 2 as the most popular game on Steam, calculated by peak and average number of users in a month. Note that some PC games that aren’t on Steam have far higher user numbers, such as League of Legends.
- Nintendo is reportedly working on more Wii U ports to Switch.
- Yoshitaka Amano, the artist whose acclaimed work includes the Final Fantasy series, created a cover for the January issue of Vogue Italia.
Writer at Sidequest and WWAC; past: Newsarama, Comicosity, executive editor of Kollaboration. I’ve watched over 200 hours of Life is Strange playthroughs. Talk to me about LiS, The Last of Us, and the games and fandoms you love! Twitter: @loudlysilent