Howdy, gaming lovelies! Hope you’ll all be staying sane this holiday season with a little gaming. As of this moment, I’m tempted by last week’s release of Defend the Cake, a cutesy Steam game where you defend your cake from armies of ants. It’s possible I only want to be constantly reminded of delicious cake and have no interest in playing the game at all. Mmm… cake! Now on to the news!
Fans of the Life is Strange franchise will be happy to hear that the original voice actors who played Chloe and Max are returning for a bonus episode in the Before the Storm series. Both Ashly Burch and Hannah Telle will reprise their roles. Although a release date has not been announced for the bonus episode, word on the street is that it will be available sometime in 2018.
I love political and activist games, so I’m thrilled to hear this game is razor-close to release. I originally heard about it at PAX East in 2016. The real-time riot simulator allows players to play as the police or the rioters, “to experience both sides of the fight—a fight in which there really are no winners.”
Let the misery and torment continue! The wait for the digital edition of Gloom is still a few months out. in 2016, the development was funded via Kickstarter, raising almost $77, 000. At the time, an August 2017 release was planned.
Other news you can use
- The inclusive Dames making Games needs a new space
- A Last Airbender writer and Uncharted director making a new game? Do tell!
- Give us more! Two new female executives join the ranks at developer Runaway (now if only we could stop news outlets from referring to grown women as “girls”)
And lastly, leaving this right here for all the feels …
18 years ago I played my first platformer on my PS1. In 4 days my first platformer game releases on the PS4. Proud moment.
— Jenna Brown (@cyanatar) December 2, 2017
Welcome to Games Bleat! In this section I—Joesph, your local games warlock—tell you—the reader of this article—what games we’re looking out for here at Sidequest.
Let’s start off with those absolutely liberating deals! PC sales platforms are still recovering from Black Friday’s toll on game prices, but consoles are definitely picking up the slack this week!
PC players can look for
- Dishonored: Death of the Outsider on sale for $14.99 at Gamestop (digitally, and while supplies last). This is my personal Game of the Year contender here so I will be pointing out every time it goes above 50 percent off for quite awhile.
- And To the Moon—an adventure game well loved by many of the Sidequest crew—is $8.99 at Green Man Gaming.
Xbox has a huge indie sale going on, including quite a few bundles. My top picks include,
- Inside and Limbo for $14.99
- Party Hard, Lovely Planet, and No Time to Explain for $9.50
- The JackBox Party Bundle for $22.50
- and The JackBox Party Trilogy for $30.00 (both are perfect for holiday gatherings)
PlayStation Network is hosting Hob and The Elder Scrolls Online for $16.99 and $9.99 respectively. It’s worth noting that all of the expansions and deluxe editions of TESO are also on sale, and Hob just looks really friggin’ cute.
Finally, at the Nintendo Game Store there’s:
- Indie hit Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove on WiiU and 3DS for $19.99
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocolypse at 29.99 for those who love Persona and wanted to dive into its parent franchise (it should be noted I know nothing about the fan reception of this particular title).
- And finally JackBox Party Pack for the Nintendo Switch is available for $17.49, and is a great way to bring friends and family together this holiday season!
As far as new games go I bring news of a Star Ocean: The Last Hope Remaster! I’m a big fan of the series and excited at the possibility of playing it in 4k and 1080p, especially at $18.89 (till the 12th).
I’ve also been scouring new releases on Steam and came across Glitchbuster, a very fun looking platformer with good—if limited—reviews.
See you next week!
Community builder, artist, convention organizer, gamer, geek writer Women Write About Comics and Sidequest. Product Maven at Almost a Game. Owner, Bittenby Studios.