It’s hard to believe that GamerGate is still going strong, even as media coverage of the so-called consumer rights movement becomes increasingly damning and gaming sites and trade groups move to distance themselves from it.
You can find all of our previous GamerGate coverage here, including background information for those lucky few who have remained ignorant of the harassment campaigns and origins of the movement. But because new “ops” are continuously being planned, and new information is coming to light day by day, (and because I’m supposed to be working on other things), I’ve collected some of the latest developments for you below. In the main, these links focus on revealing connections between GamerGate and Men’s Rights Activists and some of the popular tactics of the movement.
- #StopGamerGate2014. It has always been a spin: @EffNoVideoGames looks at the start of the movement on 4chan, and how ethics became a central concern of GamerGaters.
- Make no mistake: Gamergate condones harassment, of Zoe Quinn, and of others: @ToddInTheShadows proposes GamerGate organize to donate to victims of harassment and records the responses he gets.
- The He-Man #gamergate-rs Club: Connections revealed between MRAs and GamerGate, including the creator of the Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian game, Bendenlin Spur.
- When the #GamerGate mob targeted Anil Dash for no reason: Anti-bullying activists from GamerGate attempt to force Anil Dash to condemn Gawker and donate to charity.
- @MattBinder reveals the truth about #GamerGate’s anti-bullying hero Mike Cernovich with his own tweets: The lead anti-bullying activist from the previous Storify is revealed to have a history of transphobia, fat-shaming, bullying, and rape apologism.
- Boston Globe reporter tells GamerGate to knock it off: A Boston Globe reporter takes Reddit GamerGaters to task.
- Amid GamerGate controversy, ESA speaks out against harassment in game industry: The reporter clarified on Twitter that the organization was speaking out against GamerGate specifically.
- Anita Sarkeesian on GamerGate: “We Have a Problem and We’re Going to Fix This”: Sarkeesian was interviewed in Rolling Stone about GamerGate and the harassment she’s been facing for years.
- We cannot let this become gaming culture: Eurogamer editor speaks out against GamerGate.
- We Are Always Fighting: Joystiq editor speaks out against GamerGate.